Sunday, October 25, 2009

Update on a rainy evening

Well, the big bookshelves are done -- all stained, and varnished, and sanded, and installed. Now onto the shorter cases that will be on the floor. A much easier prospect, now that I've decided to paint them. I started the process of sorting and pricing books this weekend with help from Loren L. and Amie, and the process of painting the floor bookshelves with help from Loren, Salli, and Summer. Good times!

I have a huge bruise on my left elbow from whacking my funnybone repeatedly while sanding the bookcases, etc. Just call me Grace. I have been contemplating taking a photo of it and sharing, because it really is quite majestic in its circumference, but restraint holds me back. Ewwww, who wants to look at a gross bruise?! Certainly not you.

Our latest adventure comes in my discovery this afternoon of a lovely line of dripping water descending through a seam in the ceiling of my front display window (don't worry, LC, your window area is dry as a bone). Of course, there is no handy emergency maintenance number for me to call, so I'll have to wait 'til Monday to address that fine event with the powers that be. However, the sign on the window, newly applied on Saturday by Brendan of Mobile Imaging, looks pretty swanky. You see below a Photoshop-doctored draft of what it will look like when its finished.

Please also note that you can now sign up for e-mail updates through the blog, so that you never miss a thing!

For those of you who don't get pestered by me via e-mail, here is some info about the shop opening...

The Green Hand Bookshop is officially opening (barring complications on the city business license front) on November 1st. We are located at 661 Congress Street, right next to Joe's Smoke Shop in the big old Trelawny Building, conveniently across the street from Tristan's shop, The Fun Box Monster Emporium (which is at 656B Congress Street).

November 1st is a Sunday, so it will be a fairly quiet affair, from 12:00-5:00, but the big brouhaha will be on First Friday, November 6th, when we will hold a ribbon cutting and open house from 5:00 to 9:00. The ribbon cutting will happen at 6:00, with Representative Herb Adams presiding.

The Green Hand is the culmination of a lot of dreams and hard work, and a lot of help from so many people I can't list you all here, but please know that you stand out like stars in the firmament of my mind, even through the fog and haze of sawdust, woodstain fumes, and all the rest that has been going on for the last month or so! Countless thanks to you all, you know who you are.

... in closing, I hope I see some of you on or after the opening day. Whether you make it to the festivities or not, please come check us out! :)

Cheers,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment