Friday, April 2, 2010

TONIGHT: Opening for The Landscape Revisited

WHEN: Friday, April 2, 2010 from 5:00pm - 8:00pm
WHERE: 661 Congress Street, Portland ME

A series of new work by Marion Francis which impels viewers to look twice at what at first seems to be American vernacular landscape painting.

Perhaps you've felt like you saw something out of the corner of your eye as you drove past Alton Bog, or while you sat around a rosy campfire deep in the woods. It may well be that you should start looking more closely at the Maine landscape to find what is lurking there... and meanwhile, you can also ask yourself what would have happened if famed painter Bob Ross had struck up a friendship with H.P. Lovecraft.  This exhibit will be on display through the month of April 2010.

About the Artist…

I am a native of Maine and reside in the Greater Portland area. Married with three daughters and two grandsons, my husband and I enjoy traveling and displaying our antique automobiles at car shows and cruise-ins. Artwork is my means of relaxation and an outlet for my creativity.

I stepped into the realm of painting sci-fi and the paranormal as the result of a comment made about a painting I had done. With the possibility of an addition to the scene which would appeal to a new audience, I began to research the subject matter. Although the paranormal, ghosts, psychic awareness and reincarnation have been a fascination for me for many years, this has been a different process for me. Searching for ways in which to express my belief in the spiritual energy found in the dimensions of time and space, perhaps at another vibrational rate, are still ongoing. Branching out in this new area has been a challenging and amusing pastime. Special thanks go to Christian and Sarah Matzke for their knowledge of the subject and their encouragement in this endeavor.

I have had a love of painting all of my life. I work in mediums of oil, watercolor and acrylics on canvas, paper, wood and metal. Inspired by Maine’s natural beauty, I concentrate my oil and watercolor work in landscapes and seascapes. Using acrylics I enjoy creating folk art, tole and still life paintings on a wide variety of backgrounds. I especially enjoy painting Santas, with a collection of over two dozen displayed at Christmas and I gift my extended family with hand painted ornaments each year.

I would be pleased to discuss paintings on consignment if interest is shown in a particular subject or variation of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment